Thursday, May 27, 2010

Daddy's Vacation

Less than 5 minutes after we dropped Jeff off at the airport, a very soft little Gavin voice came from the back seat, "I miss Dad." So sweet. So scary since Daddy was leaving the country! That night as I was rocking him to sleep (I thought that was a fairly recent phenomenon since he used to be the best little boy at bedtime - but, Jeff informed me that the trend began when we were in Virginia after Christmas and has never stopped), he fell asleep quickly and was twitching . . . he actually moaned - in his sleep - and said, "Daaaaddddy." That cute little boy is in love with his Daddy.  So began our week at home without Daddy.

Wednesday Afternoon 

After the airport, we made a quick trip to the mall to swap out our cable box.  It felt nice to be another mom pushing a stroller around (although I suspect almost every woman I saw with kids was a nanny).  Then, we stopped by the library for the afternoon.  Gavin loves to crawl up and down the stairs while Autumn and I read and chose the books she was going to check out.

We spent a lot of time out back on the playset all week (we love our neighbor, Marsha and her daughter, Aliza, for passing it along).  Gavin has learned to crawl up the stairs by himself.  He continues to amaze me.  And, he's so proud of himself.

It doesn't stop him from having this look on his face by the time he gets to the bottom of the slide.


My first morning getting both kids ready for school alone.  And, they were angels.  Really.  I did have to make a few rest stops on the way in to Gavin's preschool as I carried him and his trike in.  Wow.  Reason #278 that Jeff makes a great stay-at-home parent.  He's stronger than me.  And, that little Gavin boy is heavy.

Thursday was hot.  It warranted breaking out the Slip n Slide.  We created a water slide on the playset with the hose.  Set up the umbrella.  Made some lemonade (which Gavin surprisingly loves) and had ourselves a picnic.  So much fun.  So hot.


Gavin and I spent the morning playing Cars while Autumn was at school.  It's his very favorite past-time.  He has 30 or more little cars from the Disney Cars movie.  They talk to each other and have elaborate adventures.

We were ready to go to the Toronto Zoo soon after we picked up Autumn from the bus stop (during which Gavin ran into the back of my legs with his four-wheeler and I almost cried when I saw the chunk of skin I was missing).

Trying to get out of the house was a challenge.  Gavin wanted his sunglasses - which I couldn't find.  Autumn wanted to wear sandals - which are all too small.  I had to run back in the house for a million little items - sunscreen, the zoo passes, more water.  I was checking one last time for Gavin's sunglasses in the garage when my sunglasses fell off and skidded across the driveway . . . on their lenses.  I ran to grab them and when I stood up I whacked the back of my head on the side view mirror.  Hard.  Ouch.  

We had big plans to visit the tigers and elephants . . . but, ended up splitting our time between the little bunnies at the zoo in the kids' park and the sandbox.  They were perfectly content and happy not to go anywhere else.  So funny.

They were both ecstatic that they actually were able to each touch a bunny.  They both said it was the highlight of their day.


Autumn's best friend, Alida, and her mom, Lisa, and their little June bug came over for a visit.  I love this family.  June and Gavin actually play so well together.  And, the afternoon was full of freeze tag, playing toys, pretending to be princesses, playing outside, more picnics, and a little bit of packing.


We hit our low point Sunday morning.  Both kids woke up coughing - Gavin sometime in the night and Autumn sometime later in the night.  There's not much sleep to be had with two squirmy kids in the bed.

Gavin was so cranky and upset . . . he couldn't be put down for a second.  And, I'll say it again . . . he is heavy.  I actually had to put myself in a short time-out that morning.  For sanity's sake.

By the afternoon, calm Mommy had returned.  We walked around the block a few times, drew on the driveway with chalk, climbed some trees, had another picnic, pla
yed the Wii, watched a movie, made some cookies and relaxed.


The kids tried to convince me to drive to the airport to hang out and wait for Daddy about five hours before his plane was scheduled to arrive.  I held them off.  But, I had to be quite creative!

We went to visit the new house we are moving to (more on that later).  And, spent the morning playing hide-and-seek in an empty house.  I realized - with utter devastation - that Gavin was going to have an incredibly hard time getting around because of the number of stairs everywhere.  The entire house has wood floors (of which I am not a fan - I've asked Jeff to please limit wood in any of our future homes to the office room only).  Gavin said the stairs are "too slickery."

And, then we went to pick Daddy up from the airport.  Such a cute reunion.

I had shamelessly bribed the kids with small toys that Jeff was picking up from the US (I love and miss you,  They each were allowed five 'strikes' for the week - documented on a prominent poster on the wall - to still earn their toys.  It worked like a charm.  Sadly for Jeff, I think they were more excited to get their toys than see him initially.

Autumn was actually a joy all week.  I adore her.  She's so much fun to hang out with.

And, Gavin was a little roller coaster.  He missed his Daddy.  So, I had to cut him some slack.  Lucky for him, he's such a cute little funny guy.  It partially makes up for the whining and constant begging to "hold me."

So, that's the highlights of the week.  There were lots of extras, of course, like riding bikes, playing with the dogs, making crafts . . .

We survived . . . without Super Dad . . . for a few days.

But, we were so glad to have him back.

1 comment:

  1. Look at all the fun things you did! You are such a good little mommy. Gavin's face at the end of the slide is priceless.