Saturday, December 1, 2012

Peterson Thankful Turkey


Instilling a sense of gratitude in our kids is a top priority for Jeff and me.  You can always have more or less than you have.  The real joy in life is when you appreciate exactly what you do have.  And, I think this is sometimes difficult to teach to children . . . but, critical.

Autumn suggested we create a thankful 'turkey' this year instead of our traditional thankful tree.  He grew over time.  But, this was a picture of him on his birth day.

I am so incredibly grateful for the life I have.  My husband is amazing.  I'm not saying that in the blog-facing, 'painting the perfect picture' way.  I'm serious.  He's amazing.  I love him more today than ever before.  We have a beautiful marriage.  We know that love is both a verb and a feeling.  And, we work together.

The other night we were picking questions out of our dinner-time family questions cup.  And, when asked who his best friend was, Jeff told the kids, "Your Mom."  Oh man.  I wanted to jump across the table into his arms . . . Tom Cruise-jumping-on-Oprah's-couch kind of style.  I love that man (Jeff - not Tom Cruise).  Adore him.  I'm grateful for him.  I appreciate how hard he works, how he never seems to get tired, how strong he is and even keel . . . and how he makes me laugh.  And, of course, how amazing of a dad he is.

And, these little kids of mine . . .  I know that we had dreamed and planned for 3 or 4 kids when we were in our early stages of marriage.  But, over the last 5 years, I was sure that our family would be much smaller than we had originally contemplated.

I am so thankful that we were able to have all four of these little angels in our family.  Even when Autumn is poking me on the shoulder saying, "Mom, Mom, Mom" (while I'm talking to her, by the way), Gavin is ramming into the walls and his brother in his wheelchair and has Luke Bryan playing full blast on repeat in the background, Gage is climbing onto the island, turning the faucet around and letting the water fun wide open on the countertop, and Garrett is screaming in the floor for some attention of his own . . .  I stop sometimes and just admire this family that Jeff and I have created.  They hold my heart strings.

And, even though my expectation in life was not to be a career mom . . . I am so grateful for the job I have.  The job that has taken us to Canada, that has enabled me to develop and grow and be challenged as a manager, the job that helped make our dream home a reality, and the job that gives me flexibility to be a mom, too.

And, I'm so appreciative of the family we have that love and support us.

And, the friends that have become family.

We are grateful.

1 comment:

  1. Love this post. You are amazing and have an amazing family! Loves to you!

    ReplyDelete